Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Model Sailboat

Every Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, I think of Granddaddy and St. George Island. January was always the month that Granddaddy and Nana rented Willow Pond and Jason would always anxiously await MLK holiday to have a long weekend to go visit.


At the beach, we'd wake up in the morning, have breakfast and Granddaddy would laugh because we cut our bananas the same way (with a spoon, no knife necessary). Then we'd spend the day listening to stories, eating mixed nuts and shortbread cookies from a tin.


One year, Granddaddy was putting together and painting this intricate model sailboat. I remember sitting around the big breakfast table together: Granddaddy, Jason, Lauren, and me. We all took turns painting the little sailors and watching Granddaddy with his delicate handy work.


I loved watching Granddaddy busy with his model sailboat. He could do anything, fix everything, tell you all that you needed to know in life, but I feel like he taught me a great deal about enjoying the small things and taking time to do what you love each year at the beach. I hope that one day Jason and I can spend long months on the beach taking the time to do what makes us happy (no matter how big or small). And like Granddaddy, I also hope we always laugh with our stomachs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment